Friday, September 26, 2008

Grandparents Day was Great!



Grandparents Day...A day our children celebrate the people who were once normal, until their children had children. I'm pretty sure my parents aren't the only people who have been afflicted with this condition. I have witnessed my friends parents also experiencing strange behavioral changes, such as baby talk, weird faces, totally 'unpractical' purchases, and dropping whatever they are doing to accommodate, etc. I have to admit the first time I saw my pretty reserved father on the floor rolling around with Grant, and talking 'baby' with Mason, it was a shock to my system! It was easier to accept with my mom, who had acted silly around babies for as long as I could remember, but my dad???!!! As the years flew by, I watched Grant and my dad form a bond that blessed my heart. My mom and Grant have a different type of special relationship, which only Nana's and grandsons can have. Papa Kowalski doesn't usually act as silly as my parents, but he is totally hands-on and involved, and Grant loves him dearly. So, on this day that celebrates the selfless people that are Grandparents, Grant's school had a program to honor them. Papa Kowalski was supposed to be working, and unable to make it, but he skipped out early so he could be there. My dad drove up from Virginia to attend, because the invitation Grant sent him and Nana broke his heart. Then there was poor Nana who was left behind to work and hold down the fort! Don't worry, she heard all about the program from my dad, who I'm sure didn't rub it in at all! The kids did a great job and we got to see their classrooms afterward. The only downside was Mason, who had got shots that morning, and was in a foul mood. But I guess that is part of being a grandparent too!

No comments: